2.13.2014

It's time for Fasching (Carnival)!


This year, the Kindergarten decided to have a costume party for families.  What a crazy idea.  I cannot adequately describe the chaos and noise and confusion that occurred at this party.  It was quite impressive how much they did and how much fun many of the kids had, but Nathanael was not counted among that number.  He was overwhelmed and shy and grouchy and borderline scared the entire night, minus about 20 seconds of one song when he couldn't resist and had to join in on the actions.  The highlight of the evening for me was on the way home at 6:30, after we'd been at the party trying to get Nathanael involved for two hours, and we dashed out immediately after they finished the organized portion and opened the buffet.  Nathanael had a Krapfen in his hand (apricot jelly-filled donut of sorts often given out at Fasching/Carnival) as we walked home, and he was a wreck.  He wouldn't stop crying and whining, and I had had enough.  I took the remaining Krapfen from his hand and chucked it under a car.  Not my most glorious parenting moment.  But I will never forget it (especially now since I've blogged it).

Nevertheless, we have some fun pictures. :)  And I as a good mom actually did have some fun at the party, despite my son's attitude, as I tried to show him how much fun it was.  Haha!  And I do not blame Nathanael for his difficult evening.  He really does not do well in new situations in which there is a lot of noise and activity.  (God help us when we're in the States for five months of chaotic living in 2016!)  If we'd known it would be as it was, we would not have gone.

My little dragon, being cute at home before we left
This is Nathanael, an adorable blur of motion and laughter.
I love this boy to pieces!
Gregory and I were scuba-divers.  Eva wore an octopus hat that we had from Nathanael's baby shower in Boston.
For cheap, home-made costumes, we did well.  And we were quite the hit.  Interestingly, lots of parents have stopped me since the party and commented on the creative costumes. :)
Dancing at the party
This is where he stayed almost the entire two hours.
Marie, one of our favorite little girls at his Kindergarten
(We affectionately called her chicken-pot-pie for the longest time.  Why?  Let's just say,  Nathanael likes to be silly.)
Someone was happy to be there.
The chaos was ramping up after over an hour of dancing and lots of hungry kids.
And here is Nathanael's Kindergarten craft for Fasching - a clown.  So cute.
Oh how I hope they do something different for next year!

No comments: